:: MAGELLAN (1958) ::

Magellan freighter ship (1958) High resolution picture

The Magellan was the first of a series of four freighter ships built by Chantiers et Ateliers de Provence for the Compagnie Générale Transatlantique of Le Havre, for service in the Pacific coast line of United States and Canada. The Magellan was launched the 9th March 1958 in the Port de Bouc shipyards and the 15th September she effectuated her first departure from Le Havre. As soon as she entered service, the Magellan was incorporated to the South Pacific line. In 1966 she was transferred to the North Pacific line, where she operated alongside her sister ships. From 1971-1973 the four ships were relieved from service in the North Pacific and transferred to the Central America line. The introduction of container ships in freighter service put a rather premature end to the life of the Magellan and her three sister ships, which were scrapped between 1979 and 1981.

The Magellan had her foremost cranes installed in three single masts, whereas her sister ships (all of which were of subsequent construction) had all of the cranes installed in twin masts. Apart from this, the four ships were similar to each other. They had five holds and four cranes for each hold, as well as an easily recognizable silhouette characterized by two separate superstructures.

Class: 4 units (Magellan, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi)

Type: Freighter

Length: 152.10 meters

Beam: 18.80 meters

Draught: 8.27 meters

Gross tonnage: 7200 tonnes

Deadweight tonnage: 9600 tonnes

Propulsion: 1 x shaft, 1 x Provence Doxford Diesel engine, 9000 horsepower

Speed: 16 knots (29.6 kilometers/hour)

Range: N/A

Complement: 11 officers and 35 mariners

Passengers: 12

Cargo: N/A

~ Return to Freighters ~

~ Return to Civilian Ships ~