The diorama depicted in these pages is a production from Andrea Miniatures. Twelve artists and artisans
worked in the project during a year. This artwork was then exhibited at the museum that Andrea Miniatures has in
a town near Madrid. The submarine depicted in the following pages is the U 201, commanded by Adalbert Schnee and
stationed at Brest for maintenance in 1942.
Three mariners load a torpedo in the fore area under supervision from a sublieutenant. Note how one of
the men daubs the torpedo with grease to protect it from humidity. The torpedoes were brought to the
deck of the submarine by using a large crane emplaced on the other side of the drydock, which is not
present on the diorama.
The 88-millimeter L45 deck cannon was suppressed in later versions of the Type VIIC submarines and extra anti-aircraft
fast guns were installed in the aft part of the conning tower to counter the ever growing air threat.
General view of the conning tower. Other details present in the bridge include a monopole radio antenna, a compass, a pod with
binoculars and two life jackets.
The commander Adalbert Schnee and two officers talking on the platform of the 20-millimeter anti-aircraft cannon. The lieutenant
is sitting on the banister while a sublieutenant has a foot resting on the radio; it was habitual to bring this device outside
the submarine when resting at port, to enliven with music the work of the crew.
The group of small holes served as air intake for the crew and the Diesel engines.
This photo shows details such as the 7.92-millimeter machine gun, the compass and the directional antenna used for finding the
location of other ships through their radio transmissions.